Notice...

The purpose of this blog is to have a little fun. It is NOT to start arguments. I don't profess to be an expert on Sci-fi, nor do I aspire to become an expert. You are welcome to comment on any and all content you find here. If my opinion differs from yours, as far as I am concerned, it's all okay. I will never say that you are wrong because you disagree with me, and I expect the same from those that comment here. Also, my audience on the blog will include some young people. Please govern your language when posting comments.

Posts will hopefully be regular based on the movies I see, the television shows I watch, and the books I read as well as what ever strikes me as noteworthy.


***SPOILER ALERT***
Spoilers will appear here and are welcome.

Autograph Collecting

Sunday, April 21, 2013

OBLIVION IS NOT OBLIVIOUS.



Oblivion Starring Tom Cruise – 2013


Seldom does a movie live up to the hype that goes along with it, but in the case of Oblivion, it not only lives up to the hype, but it actually surpassed my expectations.  I was ready for a great film, but I had no idea just how good this film was going to be.


Set in the year 2077, aliens known as Scavs have invaded the Earth starting a war and destroying the moon in the process.  The destruction of the moon causes seismic disasters on the Earth causing the entire population to be forced to move to Titan, an Earth-like moon orbiting the planet Saturn.  At least this is what Jack Harper (Tom Cruise) believes while he goes about his business maintaining and repairing drones that are charged with eradicating remaining Scavs and protecting giant machines that collect sea-water and convert it into fuel for the select few to take their trip to Titan.  Jack is assisted by his partner, Vica, who is advised by someone called Sally on a giant orbiting space station called Tet.  


As the story develops, Jack learns that things aren’t what he has been led to believe.  Because of what he learns, he is able to save what is left of humanity on the Earth.


As far as I am concerned, this is Tom Cruise’s best career performance as he leaves his usual over-the –top style of acting.  While Morgan Freeman plays an integral part in the film, his part is actually small.  The special effects in this film serve to advance the story, but do not upstage the performance of the characters or the plot development.


In short, this is a great movie to kick off this season’s fare of what promises to be a great season for Sci-Fi.  If you are expecting one of those “in your face” action flicks, you are going to be disappointed.  This film is far more cerebral employing a very intricate story line and characters that are well developed.


This is a must see film by my estimation and should do well.

4 comments:

  1. Good review Jim. The only thing is that some people might not find the payoff really interesting and it might even lead to confusion among the general movie audience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might be right about the ending and the way it is taken by the general audience. I, on the other hand, found it appropriate to the story IMHO. Thanks for the feedback and I will be looking at your blog also.

      Delete
  2. Hey Jim! Found your blog by following people who disagreed with dtmmr.com and I gotta say I'm totally with you on this one. I feel like the ending isn't too much to grasp but I guess judging by the popularity of the Transformer movies maybe audiences are content with their sci-fi remaining meaningless. Great review & keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wes. I appreciate what you said.

      I listened to a podcast (SciFi Diner) and there was a comment by another podcaster named Colin. He said that the ending was akin to 2001: A Space Odyssey. I thought it was more like the ending of Logan's Run myself.

      Welcome aboard and come back again.

      Delete