Notice...

The purpose of this blog is to have a little fun. It is NOT to start arguments. I don't profess to be an expert on Sci-fi, nor do I aspire to become an expert. You are welcome to comment on any and all content you find here. If my opinion differs from yours, as far as I am concerned, it's all okay. I will never say that you are wrong because you disagree with me, and I expect the same from those that comment here. Also, my audience on the blog will include some young people. Please govern your language when posting comments.

Posts will hopefully be regular based on the movies I see, the television shows I watch, and the books I read as well as what ever strikes me as noteworthy.


***SPOILER ALERT***
Spoilers will appear here and are welcome.

Autograph Collecting

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Paying It Forward for Peter David...

As I am sure that everyone that is a sci-fi fan is aware by now, Peter David, "writer of stuff" suffered a stroke while on vacation in Florida.  He is now in rehabilitation and according to his wife, Kathleen, is making strides in his recovery.  He is working, walking, and getting along as well as anyone could who has suffered a brain injury.  This is all good news.  The bad news is that the medical bills will soon be coming due for Peter and his family.  While insurance will cover part of the costs, there will still be deductibles and co-pays that will no doubt amount to astronomical figures.  I feel the need to help.

A few days ago, I was visiting with someone who will remain unnamed about Peter and his plight, explaining that I really wanted to help out if I could.  I was asked why.  Do I know this person?  Is he a relative?  Is he a relative of a friend?  Well, no, I do not know Peter David beyond the many hours of enjoyment I have received from reading his work.  You can take note of the books in the list to on the right side of the page.

Kathleen David has been blogging about Peter's progress, at first on a daily basis, and now it has become more like every few days.  Reading her posts should be enough of a reason to see that help is needed.

So why do I want, no need, to help?  For me, it is a matter of "paying it forward."  If you don't know what this means, it is simply that when someone helps you, you don't pay them back for that, but rather you turn it around and help out someone else in need when you have the means.

My first year teaching, I became quite ill.  Without going into details, the doctors didn't expect me to live.  I had a family and was in desperate need of help.  Not with medical bills, but with normal everyday expenses.  In the six weeks I spent in the hospital, the cable was disconnected, as was the dial-up internet.  Thanks to my mother and dad, I at least had electricity and telephone.  I had lost my paycheck from one of the two schools that I was working at part-time, and it was only due to some creative accounting performed by the superintendent that I was working for at one school, that I had any income at all.

There were also a large number of people that were pulling for me in one way or another.  I was receiving get well cards from people I didn't know, people were praying for me in churches I had never attended.  Friends, as well as other I didn't know were bringing food and offering to keep the yard up for me.  I received funds from the Catholic Church to cover my rent for one month.  The same superintendent that did the creative accounting broke all of the rules and held my job open for me when he should have hired a teacher to take my place; there was no guarantee that I would be returning to work for him, but he did this anyway.  Well, suffice it to say, there was a small army there for me that I remain eternally thankful for.

So, it is time for me to pay it forward.  I am doing this in four ways:
  1. I am ordering ten PeterDavid Trek novels for my Kindle.
  2. I have purchased six Peter David audio books from Audible.
  3. I found a donate button on Peter's Blog and used it.
  4. I am helping to get the word out on this blog.
On Peter's blog, there are ways all of us can help.  If anyone you don't know has helped you in some way in the past, think about paying it forward.  It doesn't have to be a lot, but everything will help.

Here are a few links to follow if you are wanting to help:
I do need to add that I do have selfish motivations for this also.  I want Peter to keep working at banging out the Star Trek novels that I enjoy so much and maybe one day, I will make it to a con and shake Peter's hand and get him to autograph a book for me.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

I remain,

Kahless

Q'aplaH!

No comments:

Post a Comment