Notice...

The purpose of this blog is to have a little fun. It is NOT to start arguments. I don't profess to be an expert on Sci-fi, nor do I aspire to become an expert. You are welcome to comment on any and all content you find here. If my opinion differs from yours, as far as I am concerned, it's all okay. I will never say that you are wrong because you disagree with me, and I expect the same from those that comment here. Also, my audience on the blog will include some young people. Please govern your language when posting comments.

Posts will hopefully be regular based on the movies I see, the television shows I watch, and the books I read as well as what ever strikes me as noteworthy.


***SPOILER ALERT***
Spoilers will appear here and are welcome.

Autograph Collecting

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Dwelling in Shatner's World...


Last November, while at the annual music teacher's convention in Lincoln, Nebraska, I went to the Lied Center to take in a talk about teaching students to read rhythm better.  As I walked in the door, there was a large poster advertising that William Shatner would be doing his show, Shatner's World there.  Unfortunately, the box-office wasn't open at that moment.  When I arrived home from the convention, I wasn't in the house more than 15 minutes before I had gotten on-line and ordered my ticket.

Yesterday, I made my pilgrimage to Lincoln and joined the packed house to see the show.  I wasn't sure what to expect, but I thought it would be heavy on Star Trek.  It wasn't.  I was not disappointed though because it was a great show.  Shatner did talk about Trek from time to time during his hour and 50 minute talk that included video clips and still shots that were scattered throughout the show, but mostly he talked about his favorite subject: himself and his life as an actor as well as many other aspects that make up William Shatner.

William Shatner and his "Co-Chair"
I have to say that he moved around on the stage pretty well for a man of 80+ years.  His only props were two tables with pitchers of water, and his "co-chair," a heavy-duty office chair which he only used to facilitate the story, once lifting it over his head to illustrate a horse rearing.  He poked fun at himself mostly, and occasionally poked fun at others.  Early in the show, he showed a video of George Takei telling Shatner something that he wanted to say for a long time.  I will not repeat it here because, as anyone who knows the history between these two Trek icons, can imagine what Takei had to say and fill in the blanks for themselves.

Shatner talked about his relationship with his parents, fellow actors, directors, and execuitives.  He talked a great deal about his equestrian hobby and how it helped to shape who he is.  He also talked about love, music, comedy, and death.  In one video clip, an interview with Sir Patrick Stewart, he agreed with Stewart that if everything came to an end at that moment, and if all he were remembered for was his role on Star Trek, he would be okay with that.  Shatner's show was silly, funny, interesting, sad, sentimental, and extremely entertaining.  It was above and beyond my expectations.

Lincoln was the last stop on the latest tour, and I don't know if any other tours are planned.  Shatner is very active on Twitter, answering questions from fans with his usual wit.  If there is another tour planned (you can find out by clicking HERE), this is a show well worth the price of the ticket.  Clicking on the link will also give you access to video clips from the show.


No comments:

Post a Comment