Notice...

The purpose of this blog is to have a little fun. It is NOT to start arguments. I don't profess to be an expert on Sci-fi, nor do I aspire to become an expert. You are welcome to comment on any and all content you find here. If my opinion differs from yours, as far as I am concerned, it's all okay. I will never say that you are wrong because you disagree with me, and I expect the same from those that comment here. Also, my audience on the blog will include some young people. Please govern your language when posting comments.

Posts will hopefully be regular based on the movies I see, the television shows I watch, and the books I read as well as what ever strikes me as noteworthy.


***SPOILER ALERT***
Spoilers will appear here and are welcome.

Autograph Collecting

Tuesday, July 31, 2018

A Promise of Stars: A Great Collection Of Young Adult Fiction And On Meeting David Gerrold

A Promise of Stars by David Gerrold

Back on March 2-4, 2018, the Gage County (Nebraska) Historical Society held a celebration of the life and work of Gene Coon. The event was held in the city of Beatrice, Nebraska, the birthplace of Coon, whom many of us will know as a writer and producer for original series Star Trek. When I learned that David Gerrold was going to appear in person at this celebration, I knew that I had to go. David appeared at the public library at the and of the day for a meet-and-greet and a book signing session. So I waited my turn in line choosing to get two Tribbles (Chrissy would have never forgiven me if I hadn’t brought one home for her) and the book, A Promise Of Stars. As an addendum, I will discuss more about meeting Mr. Gerrold after the book discussion.

When I picked up this book, I thought I was purchasing a short story collection. While there are a couple of short stories contained therein, there are also what Gerrold calls short novels. In any case, A Promise Of Stars is a collection of stories that are young adult sci-fi, owing to the fact that the stories all focus on young people. There are five stories in the volume and each one is unique, but after reading, I found some common threads that connected the stories, mostly in some of the terminology used by the characters. In the seven stories are some interesting and appealing adventures, but it was the first one that I was very much able to relate to personally. I would imagine that many of us who are older, sci-fi fans can relate to it as well. That first story is called Nowhere Man.

Have you ever been that kid that constantly gets picked on? You read hard books for enjoyment, you do well in your classes, you might even be a little bored with school because things come easy for you. But instead of receiving admiration, you have to put up with some bully that constantly ridicules you, and may even cause you harm if you stand up for yourself. Yeah, I was that kid.

I wasn’t necessarily any smarter than anyone else, but I loved school and took learning very seriously. I studied my butt off all the time. I also enjoyed learning when I didn’t have to. I was a nerd before the word nerd even became common. Well, I always wanted to get back at those that made going to school torture outside the classroom and that is what Nowhere Man is about. A young man, a genius really, teams up with his uncle and devises something that allows him to get his revenge. I must say, I wish I had come up with the idea to avenge myself upon my antagonists in the way the hero does.

Other stories include:

  • A father attempting to kidnap his sons by taking them to the moon, but there is an interesting twist for this dysfunctional family. 
  • A group of young people are taken to the moon to work on a habitat, but as will happen with young people, hormones get in the way.
  • A young woman and her grandmother literally knit a starship after their lives are changed due to some shady business practices.

And there are more, including a very short and very interesting list of what future travelers to the moon might comment after they return.

One of the things I appreciate most in an author is that person’s ability to write in such a way that I can visualize the people, places, and things that they are communicating in their stories. If I cannot get pictures in my mind’s eye of what I am reading, then I usually give up on the book. Mr. Gerrold is a master at painting pictures with his words.  I hold his work up there with Asimov, Heinlein, Anderson, and Ellison in that regard. I have not read as much of David’s work as I should, but what I have read fits the bill brilliantly. I will absolutely include the collection, A Promise of Stars as one of those that fit the bill because the writing flowed off the page and the internal visuals I got were stunning.

There’s also a lot of emotional content in A Promise that runs from the feeling of triumph to deep despair. There is also fear, apprehension, and a lot of love. And perhaps that is what sets David apart from more common writers, he loves what he does and it is obvious. I especially enjoy what I call David’s lists. He will take a commonly used phrase and find every synonym to that phrase and then even  make up a few more. Some are quite humorous, some are irreverent, and some will even make the reader blush, but they are never boring. I catch myself reading David’s lists a couple of times to be sure I don’t miss something before I go on with the story.

In any case, I highly recommend A Promise of Stars as a collection of great stories that are well told. One might even read this volume as an introduction to the authors brilliant work without investing in a full novel.

So, with the book review part of the post done, I will continue with my experience meeting and talking, however all too briefly, with David Gerrold. Just a quick note here, I am calling what came before this a book review, which I know David would disagree. A while back, David posted on Facebook what a review is, and there is way too much about myself in what I have written; a book review should be about the book and not about the reviewer (See sir, I am paying attention). So, there is the reason that I am writing reviews on a blog as opposed to writing professionally.

I have known the name David Gerrold for most of my life, ever since I first saw his name as the writer of The Trouble with Tribbles. After that, I began seeing his name on a number of television shows that I enjoyed; Babylon 5, Land of the Lost, and Twilight Zone to name a few. I found him on Facebook and clicked the “Friend” button and waited. And I waited and waited.  And I waited some more. I kind of felt bad that he hadn’t responded to my Friend request until I learned that his cue was completely full, and there was no more room for friends and that I was on a waiting list. So I continued waiting. One day, I was surprised that I had been accepted as a friend.

Since that time, and before, when I was a follower, I have enjoyed reading David’s Facebook posts and have learned a lot from them. David is a self proclaimed curmudgeon, and describes himself as an old grouch and not a nice man. He posts on many subjects and if one takes the time to read his posts, one can gain some insight on humor, politics, and a number of other subects. He is outstanding at expressing himself, as I have already mentioned. He will even accept argument and disagreement, but be warned, your argument better be well researched and based on evidence, otherwise you may find yourself getting launched on his famous “Trebuchet.” In other words, off the friends list. So needless to say, I was not sure about who I was going to meet when I went to the event in Beatrice.

I found out about the celebration for one of Beatrice’s native sons, Gene L. Coon, quite by accident on Facebook from a friend who was planning to go and was spreading the word. I thought it would be fun to take a drive and spend the day at a place I have heard about, but have never been. Then I learned that David Gerrold was going to be a guest speaker and signing books there and that pretty much made it a must go for me.

Although it was touted as a three-day event, I was only able to attend on Saturday. I had brought my Klingon costume and had intended to wear it for most of the day while at the event, but when I arrived, I saw immediately that it was not that kind of event, so my Klingon persona remained in the trunk. At any rate, there was a speaker who talked about Gene Coon’s roots in Beatrice, his time in the military, and how he came to be in Hollywood as a writer/producer for television. I was not aware that Coon had done so much in television and that he had penned episodes for many of my favorite television shows. Following the talk, the audience was treated to an episode each of Wagon Train and Bonanza, both written by Gene Coon. At noon, we were sent to lunch and I finally got to see David Gerrold in the flesh who was the guest of honor at a Q. & A. session at the local Valentino's (I will just add here that the food was excellent, and if you are in Beatrice, consider stopping at Valentino's!). I raised my hand to ask a question, and knowing that David was good friends with Harlan Ellison, I thought to ask after him. It was almost three and a half years since Ellison had had a stroke, and I wondered how he was doing and if he was working again. David’s answer was that Harlan was still Harlan and that he would pass along well wishes to him (in case you weren’t aware, Harlan Ellison, a man that I admired as a champion for what is right, recently passed away).

After lunch, it was back to the theater for David Gerrold’s keynote speech and another Q&A session with the audience. David talked for nearly ninety minutes about his relationship with Gene Coon who turned out to be a mentor. Next up were two episodes of Star Trek by Gene Coon, one was Devil in the Dark and the second was A Taste of Armageddon.

Following an hour dinner break, I headed over to the public library where David was having a book signing session. I finally had my chance and when I got my turn in line, and after purchasing the Tribbles and the book, I asked David if he would mind if I had a photo with him, to which he heartily agreed. So, online, he may be a curmudgeon, but in person, he is a very nice man and friendly with fans. I handed my camera to a friend and took my place behind the table with David. When the picture was snapped, he announced to those gathered, “This is our engagement picture!” everyone, including me, cracked up and it was great fun.  I thanked him for the photo opportunity and told him that I appreciated his writings on Facebook and that I had learned a lot from him. I further mentioned that because of what I do, and the political climate locally, that I was unfortunately unable to interact on Facebook with him. He turned to me, and whispered in my ear some advice. He said, “Keep reading and vote.” Four words that say a lot. To David, I promise you that I will do as you suggest.

It is my hope that one day, I will have the opportunity to see David again and maybe even get him to autograph that engagement picture.

Well, there it is…


Qapla'!

Edited by Benjamin Arrowood

No comments:

Post a Comment