Notice...

The purpose of this blog is to have a little fun. It is NOT to start arguments. I don't profess to be an expert on Sci-fi, nor do I aspire to become an expert. You are welcome to comment on any and all content you find here. If my opinion differs from yours, as far as I am concerned, it's all okay. I will never say that you are wrong because you disagree with me, and I expect the same from those that comment here. Also, my audience on the blog will include some young people. Please govern your language when posting comments.

Posts will hopefully be regular based on the movies I see, the television shows I watch, and the books I read as well as what ever strikes me as noteworthy.


***SPOILER ALERT***
Spoilers will appear here and are welcome.

Autograph Collecting

Wednesday, July 14, 2021

Plague War: Outbreak By Alister Hodge - A Zombie Apocalypse Novel That Caused Me Nightmares - It's That Good!

Plague War: Outbreak by Alister Hodge

I found Alister Hodge's Plague War: Outbreak after I read his Escape from Viperob Island. I didn't read it right away because I had my fill of 'plague' considering the COVID crisis and didn't need to read anymore about spreading diseases. There was already enough in the news. I didn't realize it was actually a story about zombies. Now, I have to add, I am not a fan of zombies; I'm more of a space-opera nerd (I've never watched a single episode of The Walking Dead). But I am also a huge fan of post-apocalyptic fiction. Recently, I cracked open this story and read it in two days! After all, it's an Al Hodge story!

I was mesmerized by this book that is heavily character driven, as are all of Al's publications.

Harry is a doctor working his last shift in the emergency department of a hospital when an incoming patient presents with a bite from an animal. As her vital signs rapidly drop, Harry works to keep her alive until she dies on the table. Everyone is shocked when the body of the unfortunate young woman suddenly reanimates and begins attacking everyone she can find - but this is only the tip of a very large iceberg.

The Lysan Plague, a virus spread by broken skin contact, spreads across Australia at an alarming rate, causing a terrifying zombie apocalypse. It isn't long before the police and military are overwhelmed and the situation becomes a fight for survival between the living and the undead.

Harry and other survivors form an alliance to survive and hopefully escape the fray. The enemy is relentless and difficult to fight. It will be through determination, knowhow, and luck if they are to survive at all.

As always, the strongest point in Al's storytelling is his ability to create and write characters who jump off the page and make one care about them. Outbreak is no exception to the author's skill as a writer.

Harry is an emergency room doctor who is getting ready to move to another posting. He has a good relationship with his co-workers, but looks forward to his new life. He is compassionate, believing in his Hippocratic oath. When faced with the problem of killing the infected people he encounters along the way, he, at first, is reluctant to do so. As time goes on, he is forced to resign himself to doing what is necessary to survive, but he still doesn't like it. After all, he is sworn to save, not take, life.

Steph is Harry's cousin. They don't know each other. They do know they are related. When she is cut off from escaping the city, she contacts Harry for rescue. Harry finds her and takes her home with him where she becomes instrumental in planning and execution. She is a strong female character who provides common sense to the group.

Penny is a police officer who starts out on guard duty for a quarantine facility. At first, she seems a little timid, but as time goes on, she finds purpose because of a traumatizing incident. She turns out to be a strong character, heroic in the execution of her duties.

Mark is a soldier having served in Afghanistan just looking forward to a reunion with his girlfriend before he is redeployed. He is a member of the Australian Army and serves as a "sapper," a combat engineer who can fight as well as perform numerous engineering duties. Mark encounters the infected, just as he is called back for domestic duty to fight them. He cannot report because of the plague and decides he needs to save his girlfriend, who dumped him in a text message. He is a sharp character and knows his stuff and becomes instrumental to the survival of Harry's band of survivors. Mark has a tough time fighting his self doubt, but proves himself a leader as time goes on.

Georgie is Mike's girlfriend, instrumental in the survival of herself, Mark, and Penny as they try to escape the cities and get out of harm's way. Another strong female character who finds her place in the group.

Finally, the group is joined by a pair of teenagers who narrowly escape becoming infected. A brother and sister prove their worth when the eventual zombie assault comes upon Harry's stronghold.

All characters are well developed and become real people as the story unfolds.

The main plot point that stood out to me was how anyone, even the weakest, can find their inner strength and do what is needed when the time comes. While everyone in the story has some self-doubt, when the situation calls for action, no one lets the rest down. All the characters have flaws helping them become real to the reader, but they show their strength by overcoming their weaknesses to become heroic assets to their community. Their heroism is not something that the reader can predict, but how they become heroes is a major part of the story and worth the time to read.

As one might expect, there are disturbing images throughout the story. Scenes of extreme violence and descriptions of eviscerated moving corpses abound. I would warn those with weak stomachs to avoid this story. I read over half of this book in the first sitting and actually had a bad dream that night. Despite that, I have to say I enjoyed this book immensely, surprising myself because this is not my usual kind of reading material.

Along with great characters, the story is told at a blinding pace that will hold your attention through to the end. If you have to set it aside to catch your breath, trust me, you'll want to get back to it as quickly as possible.

If you are someone who can handle the violence and gore expected from this kind of story, I give it my highest recommendations for a good solid tale with characters who find their inner strength. You won't want to set this down until you get to the end, and then you'll be ready for the next two installments in the series, Plague War 2: Pandemic and Plague War 3: Retaliation.

Al says about himself: I am a Sydney, Australia-based author, writing within the genres of horror, thriller, and fantasy.

Outside of writing, I work as a Nurse Practitioner. Through working in Emergency, I’ve come in contact with humans at their best and worst. I’ve treated medical emergencies and witnessed the beginning and end of life. In such environments, the usual facades are stripped away, and it is a privilege to work with people in what can be the most stressful time of their life. It’s also an environment that reinforces the fact life isn’t always fair.

I think these experiences are reflected in my novels. My characters have flaws and face challenges. There is evil, and unfortunately the worst is often found in other humans and what we do to each other. When I describe blood, gore and pain, or life and death situations - it comes from personal experience. I know how the crunch of a broken bone feels under hand, and what the pattern of blood looks like on the ground after it squirts from a severed artery. I’ve experienced the stress and self-doubt that must be overcome during a medical emergency, and also witnessed the grief and distress of family members confronted with the loss of a loved one.

These are unforgettable experiences that can’t help but leave a mark on my subconscious and writing.

Well, there it is...

Qapla!


No comments:

Post a Comment