Notice...

The purpose of this blog is to have a little fun. It is NOT to start arguments. I don't profess to be an expert on Sci-fi, nor do I aspire to become an expert. You are welcome to comment on any and all content you find here. If my opinion differs from yours, as far as I am concerned, it's all okay. I will never say that you are wrong because you disagree with me, and I expect the same from those that comment here. Also, my audience on the blog will include some young people. Please govern your language when posting comments.

Posts will hopefully be regular based on the movies I see, the television shows I watch, and the books I read as well as what ever strikes me as noteworthy.


***SPOILER ALERT***
Spoilers will appear here and are welcome.

Autograph Collecting

Sunday, August 29, 2021

Dogs of DevTown By Taylor Hohulin - High Powered Cyberpunk Sci-Fi That Feels A Lot Like Blade Runner

Dogs of DevTown by Taylor Hohulin

I received an advance review copy for free, and I am leaving this review voluntarily.

Dogs of DevTown is a dystopian urban cyberpunk Sci-Fi story set in a place called DevTown. It could be any large city in the US where conditions have deteriorated to where crime runs rampant in the streets, and crime lords are in charge. The description of DevTown is very similar to that of a future Los Angeles in the 1982 Blade Runner film.

Overall, I enjoyed this book. It starts with action and doesn't stop until one closes the book. It moves at breakneck speed, but it is so well written, the reader will have an easy time understanding the story. 

Everyone in DevTown is bad. No one seems to have any redeemable qualities, including the principal character, Shan Hayes. She is a bounty hunter who takes on contracts from crime lords to track down those who have crossed them. When Shan receives a contract from a particularly nasty crime lord, she does not know what she is getting into. For her, it is just another paycheck along the way. As she tracks her contract, she learns just how deep the evil goes in DevTown. A megalomaniacal cyber-entity seeks to download itself into a body, and Shan gets in the way. She is dogged by this entity until there is a final epic showdown. The contract she accepts could prove to be more than even she can handle.

Shan Hayes is a human who uses chemicals to enhance her abilities as she hunts for criminals. She is not a nice person and will go to incredible lengths to complete her tasks, including almost killing herself. There isn't a lot to say about Shan, other than she is relentless and ruthless. This is not someone I would want to meet in a dark alley, or anywhere else. One thing I would have liked to have known is a little more background on this character. Where did she come from? What made her the way she is? These are just a couple of questions I would have liked to know the answers to. What we know is she has shunned all the cybernetic and mechanical enhancements everyone else in the story seems to favor.

Shan relies on help from a few shady characters along the way. One, Kim Le, is a scientist in the NexDev tower, a prominent structure in DevTown. He is probably the closest thing to a friend in Shan's life. When Shan's use of chemicals for enhancements has taken her to a near point of no return, she goes to Kim, who puts her right again, with the use of more chemicals. He also supplies her with the drugs she uses to enhance her abilities.

Everyone in the city seems to have cybernetic enhancements, including Andromeda, a "tabber" (drug user) who knows how to gather information when he (Andromeda is typically considered a female name, but in this case, the character is male) can "jack" into the net. It is not clear if Andromeda can be trusted, but Shan has little choice; no one in the story can really be trusted beyond their own self-interest.

Shan's most reliable helper is Aldis, a parasite living in a canister on her side in a saline solution. Shan consults through touch. When she puts her hand into the solution, Aldis connects to her by drawing blood from her fingers. Aldis is also a powerful weapon Shan uses to takedown her targets. He provides company and advice as needed. 

My favorite plot point in DevTown is the final battle between Shan and her chief nemesis. It is a one of the best battle scenes I have read, and the outcome is uncertain all the way through.

My takeaway from Dogs of DevTown is Shen, a tenacious antihero, is forced into a position where she must fight for the good of all. She is not the type to care at all for anyone else. Because of the circumstances, she has to rely on others for help to achieve her goal, but more to survive than anything else. The irony of this story is palpable all the way through.

I was entertained by this book and wanted to read on when I had to set it aside. While I didn't find any of the characters people I could really care about, I did ironically find myself cheering for Shan and, more so, for Andromeda. I loved the fast pace and short length of DevTown and thought it was just right. There were moments I felt disgusted, depressed, and excited all at the same time. The author did a fine job setting the atmosphere for the book with descriptions making the scenes come alive.

I would recommend this book for those looking for a book that doesn't take a lot of thought to understand and enjoy a lot of twists and turns in their plot lines.

Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Taylor Hohulin is a radio personality by morning, a science fiction author by afternoon, and asleep by 9:30.

Well, there it is...

Qapla!

No comments:

Post a Comment