Notice...

The purpose of this blog is to have a little fun. It is NOT to start arguments. I don't profess to be an expert on Sci-fi, nor do I aspire to become an expert. You are welcome to comment on any and all content you find here. If my opinion differs from yours, as far as I am concerned, it's all okay. I will never say that you are wrong because you disagree with me, and I expect the same from those that comment here. Also, my audience on the blog will include some young people. Please govern your language when posting comments.

Posts will hopefully be regular based on the movies I see, the television shows I watch, and the books I read as well as what ever strikes me as noteworthy.


***SPOILER ALERT***
Spoilers will appear here and are welcome.

Autograph Collecting

Thursday, November 25, 2021

ISAN (International Sensory Assassin Network, #1) By Mary Ting - Young Women Will Get The Most Out Of This Exciting Tale

ISAN (International Sensory Assassin Network, #1) by Mary Ting

I received an advance copy for free and am leaving this review voluntarily.

ISAN is a Young Adult Dystopian Science Fiction novel set in the distant future. It is told through the eyes of its principal character, Ava. There is a lot of action and suspense set in a world ravaged by meteor strikes and tsunami. Governments, as we know them, no longer exist. 

At the outset, I'll say that this book was not for me. Not that the book isn't good. As a matter of fact, it is a finely crafted, well written, and exciting story following the exploits of a young woman who seems destined to achieve beyond her knowledge. However, I say the book is not for me because I am not the target audience for ISAN. This book is aimed directly at young women in high school to around early to mid-twenties. While there was much I enjoyed in this tale, and while I understand what the characters were relating to as far as their sensuality is concerned. It's just not my thing to read the thoughts of young women toward boys. So, again I say, splendid story, but not for me.

I read the entire story and still rated it highly because I think the author did a fine job, and it isn't her fault I'm just an old man.

In the eastern part of what was once the United States, a young woman of seventeen is discovered to have special talents by an agency known as ISAN. They are the International Sensory Assassin Network who take in young women and train them to use their talents for good or evil, depending on one's point of view.

Ava is one such girl; an orphan who was being raised in a place she calls "juvie." When ISAN identifies her as special, they take her in, and with the help of training, and a drug called Helix, she becomes a master assassin. She is without fear and can perform at a high level of efficiency. The life she has entered offers very few freedoms. She knows little of the world outside of the ISAN facility she lives in and it seems there is little hope of her experiencing life as others do. Everything she does is monitored and measured.

One day while using her allowed fifteen minutes of free time surfing the net, she receives a text message from a mysterious stranger named Sniper. The stranger claims to know Ava and that they have a relationship. Ava is nervous because Sniper seem to know things he shouldn't, and on top of that, if ISAN learns she is communicating with someone outside the organization, it could spell major trouble for her.

Ava is a strong female character who is a victim of circumstances. Before the start of the story, she was mind-wiped and had a lot of her memories taken away so she could function effectively for ISAN. The memories she keeps are of her mother and starting out life as a normal little girl. She has no memories of her father, be he played an important role in her life. Ava has a few friends, two girls on her team at ASIN. While the agency provides everything she needs, she wants more out of life than simply to be sent out on missions.

My favorite plot point in ISAN is how Ava functions under pressure. She is always cool under fire and is always thinking ahead.

ISAN is a great story and anyone in the target audience will really enjoy reading the exploits of Ava and her friends. While there is some graphic violence, it isn't presented in a way that is crude. 

Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Mary Ting is an international bestselling, award-winning author. She writes soulful, spellbinding stories that excite the imagination and captivate readers around the world. Her books span a wide range of genres and her storytelling talents have earned a devoted legion of fans, as well as garnered critical praise.

Becoming an author happened by chance. It was a way to grieve the death of her beloved grandmother and inspired by a dream she had in high school. After realizing she wanted to become a full-time author, Mary retired from teaching after twenty years. She also had the privilege of touring with the Magic Johnson Foundation to promote literacy and her children's chapter book: No Bullies Allowed.

Mary resides in Southern California with her husband, two children, and two little dogs, Mochi and Mocha. She enjoys oil painting and making jewelry. Being a huge Twilight fan, Mary was inspired to make book-themed jewelry and occasionally give it away as prizes to her fans.

Well, there it is...

Qapla!

No comments:

Post a Comment