Notice...

The purpose of this blog is to have a little fun. It is NOT to start arguments. I don't profess to be an expert on Sci-fi, nor do I aspire to become an expert. You are welcome to comment on any and all content you find here. If my opinion differs from yours, as far as I am concerned, it's all okay. I will never say that you are wrong because you disagree with me, and I expect the same from those that comment here. Also, my audience on the blog will include some young people. Please govern your language when posting comments.

Posts will hopefully be regular based on the movies I see, the television shows I watch, and the books I read as well as what ever strikes me as noteworthy.


***SPOILER ALERT***
Spoilers will appear here and are welcome.

Autograph Collecting

Sunday, February 5, 2023

Cryptid Killers By Allister Hodge - A Chilling Winter's Tale Of Murder And Mayhem

Cryptid Killers by Alister Hodge

I borrowed a copy of this book from Kindle Unlimited and am leaving this review voluntarily.

When I see the name Alister Hodge on the cover of a book, I will probably read it. I didn't learn about this one until I saw it come across my Facebook feed recently. I was looking for something a little different and decided to take this one on.

Cryptid Killers is a short and fast-paced story set at a ski resort somewhere in Australia. When I say fast paced, I mean reading this book is a lot like hopping a ride on a roller coaster in motion. The action begins on the opening pages and never lets up until the very end. It has a pair of great characters as heroes, as well as a pair of nefarious characters who are so buried in their own self-interest, they cannot see the danger they are unleashing to the resort's guests, who have paid a large premium to have a holiday.

At 149 pages, I was impressed by how Al crammed so much story into such a small space.

Cryptid Killers is a story that could cause one nightmares. The monsters in this tale are vicious and relentless, and there are too many to count. Al's descriptions of the horror caused by these creatures may be a trigger point to some readers, but for those who can take descriptions of injury and dismemberment, it is an entertaining read that might have one sleeping with the lights on.

I enjoyed this book, as I have everything I've read from Al Hodge, and I continue to look forward to his future work as an author.

When a skier is lost at a resort, Agent Rylan of the Cryptid Investigation Unit and her new partner, Eoin Carter, find themselves in a battle for their lives against an army of creatures who are rapidly emerging from hibernation. When they appear, they are ruthless, murderous, and very, very hungry.

As Rylan and Carter do their best to keep the resorts guest from becoming a hot meal in the frozen tundra, they also have to fight against the resort’s greedy owner and his henchman, who harbor ulterior motives.

One of Al's major strengths as an author is the characters he writes. While there wasn't a lot of background information given in this story, there is enough to help one become invested in their successes.

Agent Rylan knows her business. She is intense about her work, and she knows how to get the job done. I will not go into too much detail and spoil a plot twist. I want to know more about this character. Hopefully, there will be future books.

Eoin Carter is a former soldier who has seen his share of violence and death. He is pretty good at keeping his cool while he assesses and acts in situations. I don't think he was prepared for what he found on the mountain above the resort. Carter is a well-trained, tough ex-soldier. He and Ryland butt heads occasionally, but they actually work well together and are a great team.

Jacob Freidman is the villain of the tale. He, along with his henchman, make things miserable for Rylan, Carter, and just about everyone else on the mountain for their holiday. He is very rich and powerful; he has an ulterior motive and the consequences to others be damned.

My favorite plot point is also a major spoiler, and the thing about the story that makes me want more. It is also a major spoiler, so I will leave it by saying Agent Rylan has a lot of experience with cryptozoology.

My takeaway from Cryptid Killers is to warn others to be wary of things that come in pretty packages, like the ultra-modern resort. Sometimes those who are in the business of providing amazing experiences may have amazing ambitions and are willing to spend huge amounts of money to make even more money.

I have never been disappointed by anything I've read from Alister Hodge. He is an amazing writer who, through his characters, spins tales that are the stuff of nightmares. If you are looking for something that will thrill and give you the heebie jeebies, this is the book for you! Cryptid Killers is a story that runs at breakneck speed, don't blink, or you might miss something. Al includes things he has experienced in his profession working in the emergency room, and sometimes the reality of his descriptions can make one cringe. If you cannot handle such scenes, this might be one to avoid. But if you like horror with graphic scenes of mayhem, this is one you might want to dive into.

Highest Recommendations for a shorter read that moves.

Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Alister Hodge is an Emergency Nurse Practitioner, who lives in Sydney with his wife and two daughters. He is also a Clinical Lecturer at the University of Sydney, the author of numerous journal and textbook publications, and the co-creator of an app to support triage nurse development in Australia.

As a mental break from providing healthcare in a busy Emergency Department, Alister leaves behind the everyday traumas and horror of the real world, by creating new ones for a post-apocalyptic landscape.

No comments:

Post a Comment