Notice...

The purpose of this blog is to have a little fun. It is NOT to start arguments. I don't profess to be an expert on Sci-fi, nor do I aspire to become an expert. You are welcome to comment on any and all content you find here. If my opinion differs from yours, as far as I am concerned, it's all okay. I will never say that you are wrong because you disagree with me, and I expect the same from those that comment here. Also, my audience on the blog will include some young people. Please govern your language when posting comments.

Posts will hopefully be regular based on the movies I see, the television shows I watch, and the books I read as well as what ever strikes me as noteworthy.


***SPOILER ALERT***
Spoilers will appear here and are welcome.

Autograph Collecting

Saturday, April 29, 2023

Bloodstained Skies: The Core Of Rage By Dagmar Rokita - Dark Sci-Fi Space Opera That May Remind You Of Halo And Star Wars

Bloodstained Skies: Core of Rage by Dagmar Rokita

Core of Rage is a dark, sci-fi space opera that is good for readers who enjoy Dune, Halo, Star Wars, and Warhammer. That is, according to Dagmar Rokita, the author of this tale.

I found it a little difficult to get into at first. I kind of missed the background, but what I got from context is there is a faction calling itself the Union that has taken over governance of numerous worlds, much as the Galactic Empire of Star Wars fame. However, the Union's grip is slipping to a very well-armed rebellion as they fight to take back what they have lost. There isn't a lot of detail about the Union. I can only assume there will be more detail about them as the series moves forward with details.

The strength of this book for me was in the principal character, Cerridwen Felvennis. Another strength I enjoyed was the battle scenes, both in space and hand-to-hand in nature. 

Here is the synopsis from the back of the book.

After years of tension, war has finally come to the Union worlds. Hordes of rebels, seeking revenge for their lost worlds, ravage the Peripheral Zones.

One of the leaders of the rebellion is Charon Antares, a strict and shrewd warrior who doesn't accept any weaknesses or cowardice. He has been struggling for years to liberate his planet, Zetherion, from Union control. When another one of his braver missions ends in disaster, the rich and powerful sovereign plans to deprive him of his authority. To save his status, Antares agrees to execute her insane order that may cost the lives of thousands of his people. 

A young and easy-going girl named Cerridwen lives in a peaceful world. One day, by accident, she comes in Antares way. When she finds out about the tragedy that happened to her family, she vows revenge, but without collaboration with Antares and the rebels, she cannot fulfill her plan. 

Meanwhile, a group of the Union scientists decides to end the rebel's invasions, once and for all - they build a deadly, inhumane weapon out of sight of the government.

The principal character, Cerridwen, is a twenty-year-old female character who is secure in her situation and in herself. She possesses skills that allow her to take care of herself and lives on with her father, who is a politician in the Union. She is captured and taken off planet where she is being held by a rebel who wants all the information she might have. When she learns her father has been murdered, she has a strong suspicion about who may be responsible and becomes obsessed with avenging herself upon the offending party. The problem is that she must allow herself to be used as she uses the rebels to achieve her goals.

The best point in the plot occurs later in the book when Cerridwen thinks her way out of an impossible situation to survive and continue her quest. I thought this was a brilliant bit of writing and I couldn't stop reading until the situation was resolved.

There is a devastating weapon introduced in the story that was also very interesting. A brutal killing machine that seemed unbeatable. It was an invention of the Union and designed to end the rebellion forever. If you're thinking Death Star, forget it. The ultimate weapon in this story is far more believable than any of those introduced in Star Wars, and it is on a much smaller scale, but nonetheless dangerous.

My takeaway from Core of Rage is to remember no matter how one thinks they may know the answer, one must also consider they may be wrong.

I would have to further say that the main theme that came to me from the book is obsession. It can sometimes be tragic when one throws caution to the wind and is willing to continue to chase a goal by compromising one’s own ideals.

I enjoyed Core of Rage for the most part. There were a few times I found myself a little confused because there are a lot of different factions to keep track of. Once in a while, I had trouble keeping track of just who was who in the story. Outside of that, I was engaged and entertained as I read. I look forward to more stories in this series as the author continues to grow and develop.

Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Dagmar Rokita is a Polish writer and an artist. She writes and illustrates a dark sci-fi series called Bloodstained Skies. There are two things that inspire her: imaginary world of geek culture and the deepest corners of human psychology. Huge doses of heavy metal and history are her creative fuel. She wants to become a famous artist because she needs money to buy sophisticated food for her cat.

No comments:

Post a Comment