Notice...

The purpose of this blog is to have a little fun. It is NOT to start arguments. I don't profess to be an expert on Sci-fi, nor do I aspire to become an expert. You are welcome to comment on any and all content you find here. If my opinion differs from yours, as far as I am concerned, it's all okay. I will never say that you are wrong because you disagree with me, and I expect the same from those that comment here. Also, my audience on the blog will include some young people. Please govern your language when posting comments.

Posts will hopefully be regular based on the movies I see, the television shows I watch, and the books I read as well as what ever strikes me as noteworthy.


***SPOILER ALERT***
Spoilers will appear here and are welcome.

Autograph Collecting

Thursday, October 14, 2021

Distant Kindoms: The Drodenar Project, Folly Of The Gods By Ian Richard Gill - A Sci-Fi Adventure Tale Of Huge Proportions

Distant Kingdoms: The Drodenar Project, Folly of the Gods by Ian Richard Gill. Illustrations by Jason Gill & Ian Richard Gill.

I found this story quite by accident when I posted a review for another book in a Facebook Group I am part of. It surprised when the author reached out to me, asking if I would review his book. I checked to see what it was about and found it an intriguing concept.

Folly of the Gods is a science fiction adventure story. For me, much of it also felt like a fantasy story without magic. It is also an amazing work of world-building in great detail. One can appreciate the amount of work and imagination that went into creating this story with the promise of two more volumes to come. I'm not sure what direction the next two books in the series will take, and Folly reads well as a standalone story.

There are illustrations interspersed throughout the story to help the reader visualize creatures mentioned in the text. I appreciated the well-drawn artwork helping to enhance the story.

This was an incredible effort for a first-time author. It is well written, well edited, and reads like a story from a seasoned professional.

The book opens with a preface tracing the development of artificial intelligence beginning in 1943 with the ENIAC computer (the spark of AI) and moving through humankind's spread in the galaxy. Along the way, are some tremendous advances in the sciences that lead to extending human life almost indefinitely. Thanks to the development of Subatomic Fabrication, anything could be reproduced and there was no want. All along the way, there is human conflict until AI steps in and solves the problem in a unique and humane way.

In the first chapters of the book, we are introduced to a genetically engineered species called the Androgenari. These beings are the dominant sentient species on the planet Drodenar. The Androgenari, or Andros for short, carry both male and female parts and can choose to be father or mother to their offspring. The humans invented the species for study, but after they were created, a war broke out and the Drodenar project had to be abandoned for some time. Meanwhile, the Andros set up a society complete with conflicts and differences in philosophies, causing friction between groups. One of the things causing conflict between the Andros was their religion. They worship their creators, the human scientists, as gods.

The planet itself was intended to be a place with a stable environment to provide the Andros with a place to thrive. Unfortunately, owing to the apparent passing of a rogue planet, the axis of Drodenar was increased, and the orbit changed enough to plunge the planet into a never-ending winter with brief periods of thaw.

When the last human conflict was done, they return to an orbital space station known as Dev Lok to continue to observe their creation. The humans are the very scientists that created the Andros.

There is a plethora of characters to follow in Folly, both among the humans on the station and among the Andros on the planet. However, there is very little between the two parties in this book. Since Folly strikes me as an exposition to the planned trilogy, I imagine there will be more interaction as the story moves forward.

Occasionally, I found myself a little confused about who was who among the Andros because of the sheer numbers of characters on the planet. But they are all dynamically written and many are heroic in their purpose and deeds.

As far as the humans are concerned, there isn't too much on them except they all seem quite taken with themselves. Except for one human, they appear to be more interested in sorting out their own lives and mostly ignore the inhabitants on Drodenar. It will be interesting to see how the humans develop as the rest of the story unfolds in future volumes.

There are also numerous themes one could extrapolate from reading Folly, but for me, the major lesson was how, when left unchecked, humans seem to ruin just about everything they involve themselves in. Drodenar was a perfectly peaceful place before the scientists came along and created the Androgenari. As time passed, the Andros developed human characteristics that brought about conflict where there should have been none. This is a recurring theme throughout human history, and it seems, at least according to the author, it is one that will continue far into the future.

Folly of the Gods is epic in its scope. I would dare to say that the story, and the writing, make me think of Asimov's Foundation stories. There is a lot of detail to keep track of and one must be prepared to devote one's full attention to this complex story. I would recommend this for those who enjoy a tale to become immersed in. 

One thing I wondered is if the author didn't intentionally give nods to other Sci-Fi franchises. I read a few things that caused me to think of Star Trek and Dune. If the author did intentionally do that, my hat’s off to him for doing it subtly, making me smile as I read.

This book is well worth the investment and the time to read, but don't rush through it. There's a lot to think about in Folly of the Gods.

Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Ian Richard Gill was born in 1957 in Winnipeg, Canada with a hole in his heart. I was a "blue baby." I would turn blue and faint from a lack of oxygenated blood.

Thanks to what was cutting-edge medicine at the time, I survived, but with a childhood filled with hospitals and poor health. At age seven, I had the second of two open-heart surgeries, and soon afterward visited Barbados on a family trip.

I fell in love with the island, and later lived there a year, and married my wife, Margaret.

These events shaped my writing to this day.

Find the author's website by clicking HERE.

Well, there it is...

Qapla!

1 comment:

  1. Ian Richard Gill here with a hearty, "thank you Jim!" for this very excellent review. Loved writing Folly of the Gods. Book 2 Wars and Rumors is written, and Book 3 is approaching its ending.

    ReplyDelete