Notice...

The purpose of this blog is to have a little fun. It is NOT to start arguments. I don't profess to be an expert on Sci-fi, nor do I aspire to become an expert. You are welcome to comment on any and all content you find here. If my opinion differs from yours, as far as I am concerned, it's all okay. I will never say that you are wrong because you disagree with me, and I expect the same from those that comment here. Also, my audience on the blog will include some young people. Please govern your language when posting comments.

Posts will hopefully be regular based on the movies I see, the television shows I watch, and the books I read as well as what ever strikes me as noteworthy.


***SPOILER ALERT***
Spoilers will appear here and are welcome.

Autograph Collecting

Friday, February 18, 2022

All Systems Red: Murderbot Diaries Vol. 1 by Martha Wells - This One Just Didn't Work For Me

All Systems Red: The Murderbot Diaries Volume 1 by Martha Wells

This book appeared in an ad on Facebook and the cover caught my attention. Then I read the blurb and was further intrigued, so I borrowed it from Kindle Unlimited.

All Systems Red is a sci-fi novella by Martha Wells. It is about the musings of a manufactured cybernetic organism that refers to itself as a Murderbot because of an incident it was involved in at a time before this story takes place. The being is actually a mobile security system charged with making sure a small group of scientists on a distant planet are safe.

I'll say at the outset that I am a little cold on this story. I liked the idea and was hoping it would be better than it is. Unfortunately, there didn't really seem to be a point to the story, and it left me with a lot of questions. There are five more stories in the series and would be willing to read the rest of them, but not at the price the entire series costs. Each book is about 150 pages and the sell for $10. Sorry, but I don't think I am going to pay that much to read the books not on Unlimited.

I will also add that, as far as reviews are concerned, I find myself in the minority of readers who absolutely love this book and the rest of the series. Amazon shows an average rating of 4.5 out of five with 13,411 rating/reviews and Goodreads reports a 4.16 out of five with a whopping 129,148 rating/reviews.

Perhaps I missed something or just don't get it. I don't know. But I wasn't impressed enough to invest in the rest of the series.

An androgynous cybernetic organism who is charged with protecting a small group of scientists is having problems. It has a broken control chip and has more or less gone rogue, but it cannot override its own programming to set aside its mission. So, it avoids any contact with the people it’s supposed to protect and prefers to spend its time alone watching downloaded vids of television shows. When it is called into service to perform is programmed duty, it does so very well, but when the members of the scientific team reach out to it to make it part of the team, it rejects all attempts and sulks in its compartment, feeling sorry for itself.

The Murderbot is an antisocial machine/human organism that spends a lot of time hating its job and the people it is programmed to serve. It is supposed to be androgynous, but I didn't see it that way. From the very first page of the book, the prose screams that the being is more female oriented as opposed to neutral.

I've racked my brain trying to find a favorite plot point to talk about, but I cannot find one. This is just a sad story about a sad artificial intelligent being with consciousness.

I really wanted to love this story, but I neither loved it nor hated it. It's just kind of there. As I said before, I might have missed the point and your milage may vary. If I try to come up with a theme, the entire time I read this book I thought about Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker’s Guide character, Marvin the Paranoid Android. But Adams did it better.

This book didn't inspire me to read on in the series and the cost of the rest of the books put me off even more.

All Systems Red has enjoyed a lot of acclaim along with the high ratings, winning a bunch of prestigious awards. I find myself somewhat baffled by this because while it isn't trash; I have read many far better stories.

It is well written and easy to follow, but there just isn't much there for me.

Rating: ⭐⭐⭐

Martha Wells has written many fantasy novels, including The Books of the Raksura series (beginning with The Cloud Roads), the Ile-Rien series (including The Death of the Necromancer) as well as YA fantasy novels, short stories, media tie-ins (for Star Wars and Stargate: Atlantis), and non-fiction. Her most recent fantasy novel is The Harbors of the Sun in 2017, the final novel in The Books of the Raksura series. She has a new series of SF novellas, The Murderbot Diaries, published by Tor.com in 2017 and 2018. She was also the lead writer for the story team of Magic: the Gathering's Dominaria expansion in 2018. She has won a Nebula Award, two Hugo Awards, an ALA/YALSA Alex Award, a Locus Award, and her work has appeared on the Philip K. Dick Award ballot, the USA Today Bestseller List, and the New York Times Bestseller List.

Well, there it is...

Qapla!

No comments:

Post a Comment