Notice...

The purpose of this blog is to have a little fun. It is NOT to start arguments. I don't profess to be an expert on Sci-fi, nor do I aspire to become an expert. You are welcome to comment on any and all content you find here. If my opinion differs from yours, as far as I am concerned, it's all okay. I will never say that you are wrong because you disagree with me, and I expect the same from those that comment here. Also, my audience on the blog will include some young people. Please govern your language when posting comments.

Posts will hopefully be regular based on the movies I see, the television shows I watch, and the books I read as well as what ever strikes me as noteworthy.


***SPOILER ALERT***
Spoilers will appear here and are welcome.

Autograph Collecting

Monday, April 18, 2022

The Vacuum of Space: A Funny Sci-Fi Mystery (Space Janitor Book 1) by Julia Huni - Light Sci-Fi That Is Heavy On Romance

The Vacuum of Space: A Funny Sci-Fi Mystery (Space Janitor Book 1) by Julia Huni

I kept seeing ads for the Space Janitor books popping up on Facebook and other places, so as it was offered on Kindle Unlimited, I thought I would give it a look. I've recently finished reading the first book in the series and have to say I am a little confused about a few things.

First, where's the humor? In this story, the only funny thing are the thoughts of the main character, Triana. The humor is veiled almost to the point of being absent and come as some light, sarcastic observations about the situations and other characters. I will admit, Triana has a fast wit, and many of her quips and descriptions are funny, but I was hoping to laugh more. The beginning of the story showed great promise, but it kind of fizzled as the tale progressed.

Second, where was the character development? Other than Triana, there isn't much. Most of the characters Triana deals with are one dimensional and I had no real reason to care for them. There is her grumpy boss who is just grumpy, her overbearing mother, her roommate who sleeps around, and her "shiny" detective quasi-boyfriend who seems to have only one thing on his mind. Among this group, there are no characters that were little more than cardboard cutouts.

Third, how do I classify this one? Well, it is touted as Space Opera. Okay, it is set on a space station, which is in space, so I'll give it that. But then there is the relationship between Triana and Ty O'Neill, the afore mentioned quasi-boyfriend. A good portion of the story is devoted to the development of this relationship, which really goes nowhere and reads a lot like a bad romance novel. Finally, there's what should have been the real substance of the book, and that is the solving of several murders aboard the station, which struck me as being a subplot.

So, my conundrum is trying to decide if the book is Space Opera, Sci-Fi Romance, or Sci-Fi Murder Mystery?

Please don't get me wrong, I don't hate this book, as a matter of fact, I liked it, but not enough to read the next four books in the series with a tip of my hat and a thanks to the author for making it available. I know there are those that love the Space Janitor series, but it just isn't for me.

At any rate, given the questions I have, I’ll quote the blurb from the back cover as a synopsis:

It's a dirty galaxy, and someone has to clean it.

Avoiding the wealthy inhabitants on the upper levels of Station Kelly Kornienko is bot-programmer Triana’s number one rule. Well, number two, right after "eat all the chocolate."

But when one of her cleaning bots finds a dead body, all the rules go out the airlock. A highly connected security agent interrupts her routine with stories of missing bodies, and Triana can’t ignore him; it’s cooperate or find a new job. A girl has to pay the rent, even on a crappy studio compartment.

Working with a shiny detective beats a shuttle dirt-side, so Triana lends her programming skills to Agent O’Neill’s investigation. Together, they find more victims and evidence of a major cover-up.

It will take all Triana’s technical talents, most of O’Neill’s connections, and some really excellent croissants to stop the murders, save her job, and ultimately, her life.

There isn't much I can add to this.

The principal character, Triana Moore, is the best developed character in the book. She is interesting and someone a reader can care about to a point. She has a lot of secrets and the author has a maddening but somewhat humorous habit of starting to give some background through some anecdote from Triana's past, but then chops it off with "but that's another story." She has a sense of humor and is quite witty with her quips about observations, situations, and other characters from time to time, but I wouldn't go so far to say it is more than mildly funny.

Mostly, she appears to be a young woman who is working a job and trying to make ends meet the best she can. She likes the work she is doing and has no problem continuing, but her discovery of a dead body sends her in a different direction. 

My favorite point of plot is a huge twist about the identity of a character. There are a couple of reveals of this nature in the story, adding a welcome dimension to the tale and is one aspect that kept me reading.

As I've mentioned, I liked this book despite being a little confused about what kind of book I was reading. While I don't mind some romance in my sci-fi, I thought it was a little overdone in this tale and it almost felt like material being used to extend to story to novel length. I got the theme that Triana and O'Neill were interested in pursuing a more personal relationship, but I think the point was overstated and more of a tease than anything else.

I think this first book in the Space Janitor series might appeal to a narrow audience who is interested in a lightly written, light sci-fi story that doesn't require one to think too much. It is well written and easy to understand with just enough technical jargon to set the scene and explain action anyone can grasp.

It was a fun little romp, but not enough to make me move to the second book in the series.

Rating: ⭐⭐⭐                                                                       

Julia Huni is the author of the Colonial Exploration Corps, Space Janitor, Recycled World, and Krimson Empire series.

I grew up in the US Pacific Northwest, and after twenty years roaming the country with the US Air Force, I'm back. I have a spouse, three kids, and a dog named Pippin.

I've been an IT guy, a choir director, an executive assistant, a stay-at-home mom, a college instructor, and that lady at the information booth in a tourist town. But writer is the best job ever, because I get to make stuff up. Stuff I wish were true; stuff I'm glad isn't true.

When I'm not writing, I like to knit, read, bake, and ski. I also love to travel.

Well, there it is...

Qapla!

No comments:

Post a Comment