Notice...

The purpose of this blog is to have a little fun. It is NOT to start arguments. I don't profess to be an expert on Sci-fi, nor do I aspire to become an expert. You are welcome to comment on any and all content you find here. If my opinion differs from yours, as far as I am concerned, it's all okay. I will never say that you are wrong because you disagree with me, and I expect the same from those that comment here. Also, my audience on the blog will include some young people. Please govern your language when posting comments.

Posts will hopefully be regular based on the movies I see, the television shows I watch, and the books I read as well as what ever strikes me as noteworthy.


***SPOILER ALERT***
Spoilers will appear here and are welcome.

Autograph Collecting

Saturday, October 22, 2022

Deathly Waters: Harper's Landing (Occult America Book 1) By Shoshana Edwards - A Superior Horror/Occult Story Set In The Midwest

Deathly Waters: Harper's Landing (Occult America Book 1) by Shoshana Edwards

I discovered this novel through my association with the author via social media. 

Shoshana released the third in book in this series under the title Easy as Pie. So, when I saw there were two previous installments in the series, I dove in with both feet to read Deathly Waters. It is a story about a sleepy little town in the Midwest featuring some bizarre events taking place. I loved the setting and the characters, but what I most enjoyed is the dialog in the story. Shoshana is a master at bringing characters to life and they were all people very much like those I have known. As far as the town of Harper's Landing is concerned, her description of the place and the people make me want to visit there again, and I would not be opposed to living there despite the danger lurking in the wells, lakes, and ponds in the area.

I found this story believable, easily accessible, well researched, and entertaining.

Harper's Landing is a peaceful town where the residents enjoy a laid-back lifestyle where everyone gets along well and supports each other in difficult times. The town is alive and growing slowly and has a personality all its own. The people of Harper's landing are friendly and open to strangers, giving it a welcoming atmosphere where visitors often feel compelled to take up residence permanently. One such member of the community is former big-city police detective Jim Burch, who took on the role of town's sheriff following the death of his predecessor.

Jim enjoys being a part of the community. He especially the enjoys food from the diner and the apple pie in particular. All is well until a dismembered body turns up in one of the local fishing holes. He will need every bit of his instincts and training to solve the mystery and must accept paranormal explanations to understand what is happening around the community. It won't be easy, but he has the support of the people in Harper's Landing to back him up along the way.

The most developed character in the story is Sheriff Jim Burch. He came to Harper's Landing as a tourist, seeking a place to rest from a brief career as a detective, where things weren't going well for him. During a stop at the local diner, he discovered the best apple pie he had ever eaten, accompanied by a wedge of cheddar cheese. When he was told the town had recently lost their sheriff, he surprised himself by volunteering to take on the position without even thinking about it. Satisfied he had done the right thing, he soon found himself fitting in as a member of the community as though born there. During his tenure, he grows into someone who has learned "the meaning of community, of compassion, of caring, and of love." Jim became a real person to me and is someone I wish I could know.

The other character in the novel I enjoyed was the town of Harper's Landing itself. It isn't often I read a story where the setting becomes a living character to me. There is one other author I can think of that does this as well as Shoshana, and that is Stephen King. The town has a unique personality that seems to attract people needed to take care of business. Everyone in Harper's Landing fits into their place. It has a palpable vitality. Even with the danger, I found the town a comforting place to spend time. The setting is written so well, I couldn't wait to get back there to continue reading.

My favorite point of plot in Deathly Waters is how well everyone worked together as various situations presented themselves. Everyone had a part to play, and they did so with care and compassion. Even when things are their darkest, everyone continues to do their part to contribute to the whole.

My takeaways from Deathly Waters are...

Be aware, no matter how calm things seem on the surface, there may be insatiable evil lurking just below the calmness. Be careful and take a long look before you dive in.

And...

A piece of superb apple pie may seem like just a piece of pie, but it might also be your key to happiness. Slow down and take in your surroundings.

I loved this story. It has excellent characters, a pleasant setting, and the story moves at a good pace. There was never a point at which I was taken out of the story for any reason. There was also some tension along the way as the characters moved in and out of danger, but for every moment of stress, there was relief. Shoshana did her homework to make the story feel authentic. There were a few descriptions of some graphic details, but they were not over-the-top with gore, and were appropriate to advance the story.

While the niche it fits into is Horror Occult Fiction, there are several elements of Science Fiction involved in the investigative procedures used.

All in all, I would recommend Deathly Waters to anyone who enjoys a well-paced, fun, and entertaining story. I look forward to reading future work from Shoshana Edwards, including the second book in the Occult America series, Madness of Trees, as well as the third, Easy as Pie. Here's a tip though, I heard Shoshana recommend reading Easy as Pie first.

Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Shoshana Edwards is a retired teacher and jury consultant. She lives in suburban Oregon, west of Portland, where she and her husband tend a lush rose garden, grow their own vegetables, and enjoying reading and board games. The Occult America series is Shoshana's first venture into the mystery/horror genre, and she admits to loving every minute of it.

Well, there it is...

Qapla!

No comments:

Post a Comment