Notice...

The purpose of this blog is to have a little fun. It is NOT to start arguments. I don't profess to be an expert on Sci-fi, nor do I aspire to become an expert. You are welcome to comment on any and all content you find here. If my opinion differs from yours, as far as I am concerned, it's all okay. I will never say that you are wrong because you disagree with me, and I expect the same from those that comment here. Also, my audience on the blog will include some young people. Please govern your language when posting comments.

Posts will hopefully be regular based on the movies I see, the television shows I watch, and the books I read as well as what ever strikes me as noteworthy.


***SPOILER ALERT***
Spoilers will appear here and are welcome.

Autograph Collecting

Sunday, November 13, 2022

Sandorn's Command By Thom Bedford - Fun Action Packed Military Space Opera

Sandorn's Command by Thom Bedford

I received a copy of this book for free and am leaving this review voluntarily.

Sandorn's Command is a military sci-fi space opera story following the exploits of Tanic Sandorn during a time when war breaks out between two factions in the galaxy. It is an original story that has flavors from several various influences in science fiction and are brought together in a well written, entertaining, and intriguing story that will - I hope - become a series of novels. I learned about this tale when the author contacted me via email, inviting me to review his work. It is an easy book to read and unfolds as a film might and is told mostly from Sandorn's point of view.

Tanic Sandorn commands his small shuttle as it plies among the stars delivering items between planets and space stations. An accident aboard his vessel, the Kadpass, forces him to put in at Exeter Station, a huge orbital space station in where goods and services are offered. The station also hosts a military contingent from the predominant governing body of its area of space known as the Combined Systems Alliance.

Sandorn and his crew of three disembark their ship to Exeter, where they enjoy the amenities while their shuttle undergoes repairs. They soon learn that another opposing faction, the Free Planetary Union, is making headway as they bid to overthrow the Alliance. The Alliance's resources and personnel are wearing thin as the Union continues to gain strength while taking over in system after system.

Sandorn, a former officer in the Alliance Navy, is reinstated at his former rank of commander if he will serve. After some soul-searching, he rejoins the Navy, and two of his three crewmembers - one he has an intimate relationship with - also sign on. The fourth member of the crew refuses the offer and has sympathies for the Union.

When it is known the Union has a fleet headed for Exeter, preparations are made and plans are drawn up for a defense. The Alliance need a decisive victory against the Union. Exeter Station could be an immense turning point in the war for dominance in the galaxy.

I enjoyed the characters in Sandorn's Command. They are all very human, with strengths and weaknesses that brought them to life for me and quickly became people I could care about. Sandorn himself is a person I want to get to know better. He is a good person who knows his business and understands his role as a commander. As a civilian, Sandorn is a laid-back character who is enjoying life as a shuttle commander with his small crew, but when the time comes for him to step up and command, he does so with an even-handedness that immediately endeared him to me. He is of good character and believes himself to be on the right side of the conflict.

Sandorn is surrounded by characters who enjoy various degrees of development depending on their importance to the story. There is still a lot of character development to be made as the saga continues in future stories, which I am looking forward to with great enthusiasm.

Nearly every character in this story is heroic, but they aren't looking to be so. They are just doing their jobs as best they can, using what little they have to work with.

My favorite point of plot is very short, it almost seems insignificant considering the surrounding action taking place. But it is something I cannot get out of my mind after reading, and I think it will be a huge part of future installments.

The Story is told from the Alliance point of view, so far. We really learn little about the Union in this opening novel, but there is a point that some doubt is cast when Sandorn visits with the former shuttle crewmember. Maybe all isn't what it appears to be, and the Union isn't all wrong in their goals for unseating the Alliance as the dominant governing body in the galaxy.

That particular plot point haunts me and I really want to learn more.

My takeaway from Sandorn's Command is to beware of what one believes. Beliefs aren't facts, and there are always three sides to every story. In this case, there is the Alliance's story, the Union's story, and somewhere in between, there is the truth. We have yet to get the Union story, and the truth is clouded for the time being.

The themes in this book have many influences of the author’s fandoms, and it really moves the story along. I recognized elements borrowed from many of my own favorite franchises, making this book a fun and interesting read. I didn't want to set it aside for even a minute and was disappointed only in that it had to come to an end.

Sandorn's Command is a great story with familiar themes, but done in an original way that is comforting to read. It is full of fast-paced action, good character development, leaving room for future discovery. I recommend this book as fine sci-fi for any fan, particularly those who love space opera, as I do. I also think that anyone would enjoy this book, sci-fi fan or not. It isn't overly cluttered with jargon or difficult technical things to veil an outstanding story.

My highest recommendations for an immensely entertaining read.

Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Thom grew up in Cheshire, England, with his parents and brother. Since childhood, he has had a propensity for creativity, whether it be writing, building models, painting, designing graphics and technology, or programming.

After studying computer science at The University of Manchester, he started working as a Software Developer. Following in his father's footsteps, he worked as a Technical consultant in London for several years, then in data warehousing back in Manchester.

In his spare time, Thom still writes, builds models, paints, and programs, but nowadays he also listens to a lot of music, watches a lot of films, reads, and enjoys playing video games.

His love for science fiction comes from blockbuster films like Starship Troopers, Star Wars, and Star Trek. B-movies like Wing Commander, Pitch Black, and Iron Sky. TV shows like Battlestar Galactica, The Expanse, and Stargate. Video games like Homeworld, EVE-Online, and Stelaris. Books Like Jack Campbell's Lost Fleet series, Jasper T. Scott's Dead Space series, and David Weber's Honor Harrington series. In other words, sci-fi - particularly space opera - in any media.

Thom currently lives in Cheshire, England with his wife, Helen, and their two cats.

No comments:

Post a Comment