Notice...

The purpose of this blog is to have a little fun. It is NOT to start arguments. I don't profess to be an expert on Sci-fi, nor do I aspire to become an expert. You are welcome to comment on any and all content you find here. If my opinion differs from yours, as far as I am concerned, it's all okay. I will never say that you are wrong because you disagree with me, and I expect the same from those that comment here. Also, my audience on the blog will include some young people. Please govern your language when posting comments.

Posts will hopefully be regular based on the movies I see, the television shows I watch, and the books I read as well as what ever strikes me as noteworthy.


***SPOILER ALERT***
Spoilers will appear here and are welcome.

Autograph Collecting

Sunday, July 21, 2024

Dreaming of Hope: A Star Marked Novella By Justin Doyle - Marvelous Introduction Into The Star Marked Series!

Dreaming of Hope: A Star Marked Novella by Justin Doyle

No matter how much I read, and I read a lot, while I am enjoying a story, I come up with questions about the backstory. I want to know things like, what is it in the background of a character that makes them behave the way they do? Or, what happened in the past of a place to create a particular situation?

I'm sure I am not alone in my curiosity about such matters.

Dreaming of Hope is a new novella in the Star Marked universe by Justin Doyle. It is a prequel story of the three-book series focusing on a character appearing in the first of the three books in the series. Dreaming also shows the plight of the oppressed people of the world through the eyes of the principal character.

In Embargo of Hope, the first novel, we follow the exploits of Darynn Mark, a heroic tough warrior who lives by the sword. Dreaming follows the events before Embargo, following Darynn's best friend, Pavlar Solia. 

I enjoyed this look into the history before Embargo and especially appreciated the look through Pavlar's eyes. I've read all three installments of the Star Marked series, and Dreaming fits in very well to fill in some of the blanks that one might encounter when entering this universe created by the author.

The world of the Star Marked series works under a class structure that has various levels. Dreaming of Hope focuses on the plight of the Olan-Har, the lowest class on the world of Vastire. As such, the people are forced to find food wherever they can, and those who cannot fend for themselves go without basic needs, and eventually perish. One young man, Pavlar Solia, has made it his personal mission to help those who cannot help themselves, often putting himself in great danger. Fortunately, his best friend, Darynn Mark, is there to assist, and to watch his back as Pavlar works in his humanitarian efforts.

It is a constant effort to try to make the lives of the Olan-Har a little better. It is often a thankless effort, but the rewards for success are great if one doesn't lose his own life in the work.

Pavlar is a sort of futuristic Robin Hood. He has taken on the unenviable task of making sure that people in the slums can have it better than he does. This young man has a selfless spirit that seems to have no bounds. The story opens with him and his companion, Darynn, securing food from a place that has so much, and is needed by so many. While they encounter obstacles along the way, they experience successes and defeats, but always seem to at least escape with their skins intact.

Pavlar and Darynn are very different people, but they work together very well and make Dreaming of Hope a fast and fun read. A hero's work is never done, so there are several adventures for these two, and as the stakes get higher, so do the risks.

My favorite point of plot in this prequel is how the world is exposed through the eyes of the principal character, Pavlar. I enjoyed the adventure while the world building unfolds through Pavlar's eyes. Many owe their existence to the efforts of this exceptional young man.

My takeaway from Dreaming of Hope is to remember that worthwhile efforts require an ability to see a problem, have a desire to do something about it, and finally to take action. Pavlar is an example of persistence and deep compassion for his fellow citizens of the slums the Olan-Har are forced to endure.

Justin Doyle is relatively new on the scene, but he has already proven himself to be an amazing spinner of great Sci-Fi/Fantasy tales. Dreaming of Hope is the prequel to his trilogy of hero's journey tales in the Star Marked series. The First full-length novel, Embargo on Hope, and the story continues in the next two novels, Assassination of Hope, and Betrayal of Hope. This series is full of adventure, suspense, danger, and action. Lots and lots of action, and well worth a look.

Dreaming sets the stage in a way that will have the reader cheering for Pavlar and Darynn and rooting for them and their success.

I recommend Dreaming of Hope as an excellent prequel to an amazing series.

Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

I was born in Galveston, TX and raised in the Houston area. In middle school, I fell in love with two lifelong pursuits: space and writing. I knew I wanted to work at NASA and write on the side, and lo-and-behold, that’s exactly what I’ve ended up doing.

The book that really turned me on to sci-fi/fiction was The Dark is Rising, by Susan Cooper. After that, the Lost Years of Merlin series, by T.A. Barron, cemented my love for the genre.

I worked on Embargo on Hope for fifteen-plus years, very much off and on. It changed a lot in that time, starting with an author who was just barely 18 and struggling in college to a happily married adult with two kids. I recommitted to the “craft” when the COVID-19 Quarantine hit, devouring everything I could to learn more about writing.

Now I live in the Houston area with my wife, two daughters, and two giant dogs.

Well, there it is...

Qapla!

No comments:

Post a Comment