Notice...

The purpose of this blog is to have a little fun. It is NOT to start arguments. I don't profess to be an expert on Sci-fi, nor do I aspire to become an expert. You are welcome to comment on any and all content you find here. If my opinion differs from yours, as far as I am concerned, it's all okay. I will never say that you are wrong because you disagree with me, and I expect the same from those that comment here. Also, my audience on the blog will include some young people. Please govern your language when posting comments.

Posts will hopefully be regular based on the movies I see, the television shows I watch, and the books I read as well as what ever strikes me as noteworthy.


***SPOILER ALERT***
Spoilers will appear here and are welcome.

Autograph Collecting

Saturday, September 21, 2024

Demeter: (Book 1 – Orion’s Spur Series) by Alan 'Doc' Hansen - Excellent Young Adult Space Opera Not Just For Kids

Demeter: (Book 1 – Orion’s Spur Series) by Alan 'Doc' Hansen

I received a copy of this book for free and am leaving this review voluntarily.

Demeter is the beginning of an amazing story following the adventures of young William Ryder, known to his friends, and others, simply as Ryder. I loved reading this story that is both fast-paced and entertaining. It is a young adult science fiction romp that begins on Earth, but then becomes a space opera that includes some incredible vistas created by the author. He shares his visions with colorful and detailed descriptions that set a clear picture in the mind's eye. In addition, there are a number of humanoid aliens included that add broader dimensions to this story. The most prominent characters include Ryder's little sister, a girl he crushes on, and a pair of teachers the reader cannot be completely sure what they are about.

I would estimate this book is appropriate for students beginning at the 6th grade level. It is about kids, but this tale isn't just for kids. I found Demeter to be a great, fast read that held my attention very well. If you are a parent reading this and you have a child you might want to get started on reading sci-fi, this would be a good one to hand them right off the bat.

There are a few scenes that I would call cringe-worthy. For instance, Ryder is brutally beaten by a fellow student at a school dance, and his injuries land him in the hospital.

While this is the first book in a series, the story is complete with a solid ending that enticed me to read on. I will revisit Ryder's further adventures at a later date.

Young Ryder contemplates a school dance. He looks forward to perhaps dancing with Cynthia. After a long week of debating the merits of going to the dance, he decides the possible benefits will outweigh the risks and goes. While there, he encounters another student, Barry. After a few caustic exchanges of words, Barry assails Ryder with a storm of blows, putting him in the hospital. Ryder's sister, Debbie and Cynthia save Ryder from even more injury.

As a result, Ryder, Debbie, and Cynthia all move on to another school where they encounter a new teacher and another who was at Ryder's former school. The new school is a strange place, there are promises of an uncommon experience there. One such promise is a planned visit to Europe.

When the day arrives for the trip, the students board a vehicle and are whisked to a place light years from Earthbound Europe! The Europe they arrive at is inside of a huge asteroid and is itself a sort of school for select students.

And that is only the beginning of the adventure!

The principle and point-of-view character is Ryder. He is an intelligent, well-read young man who is identified as one of the school’s "skaters" at his school. He has a quick wit and has a tendency to say what is on his mind before thinking about the consequences, which tends to get him in a little trouble from time to time. Despite that, he is excellent at gathering data and analyzing it to plan actions and solve problems. I like him. He seems like a good kid.

Ryder's sister, Debbie, is a rambunctious, fearless girl who is ready to try anything. She is, perhaps, all too willing to throw caution to the wind and get involved in some risky behavior. To be honest, she is my favorite character in this story. She makes me laugh and scares me all at the same time.

Cynthia is Ryder's love-interest. Her thing is helping people.

All the characters in this tale play important parts and contribute in their own way. And that is my favorite plot point in Demeter. It is the depth of even the most minor characters. Hansen has created a bullpen of personalities that are all individual in their likes, dislikes, philosophical points of view, and how they approach problem solving. They remain consistent with themselves throughout the entire story. Further, they are all real and interesting people. Demeter is a heavily character-driven story, and the world building Hansen does only enhances the activities of the people.

My takeaway from Demeter is to always be open to new learning and new situations. One never knows what will happen when an old, familiar door is closed and a new, unknown one is opened, leading one to an amazing, even life-changing, adventure.

I give my highest recommendations to Demeter Volume 1 for being a superior story crafted with characters a reader can care about, colorful world building, and numerous surprises to spark the imagination. I look forward to the next installment. 

There are four more segments to this saga. All are available now.

Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

I am a lifelong fan of science fiction. Growing up in a small town in Utah, I became enamored with the science fiction genre as I devoured early science fiction writers such as Edgar Rice Burroughs, i.e. Doc Smith, and Robert Heinlein. As an adult, I continued to enjoy science fiction while I completed three degrees one in Japanese, Business, and Higher Education. I was an early adopter of online education, having worked at the university level as an administrator and professor.

My focus in writing science fiction is on adventure and character development. Demeter was intended as a three-book series, but the story arc for the series ultimately demanded five books to complete. The five main characters in the series are derived from observations of my own five children. The lively character Debbie is by no means an exaggeration of my youngest daughter.

The journey of editing, publishing to Kindle, then to paperback, and now to Audiobooks has been fraught with numerous delays ranging from too much multi-tasking to family tragedies. Still the story is worth it. It is not dystopian but very optimistic, and clearly illustrates how people can change and grow. Few if any individuals are without hope of redemption. If you walk away from Orion’s Spur series without laughing and crying, I have failed.

After getting the five books of the Orion’s Spur series finally into audiobooks, I’ll be moving onto two other finished manuscripts. One, a more serious political thriller set in the near future exploring our solar system and the resources within Salt of the Earth. The other is yet untitled, but the working title may signal some elements of the plot, Project Lilliput.

Well, there it is...

Qapla!

No comments:

Post a Comment