Notice...

The purpose of this blog is to have a little fun. It is NOT to start arguments. I don't profess to be an expert on Sci-fi, nor do I aspire to become an expert. You are welcome to comment on any and all content you find here. If my opinion differs from yours, as far as I am concerned, it's all okay. I will never say that you are wrong because you disagree with me, and I expect the same from those that comment here. Also, my audience on the blog will include some young people. Please govern your language when posting comments.

Posts will hopefully be regular based on the movies I see, the television shows I watch, and the books I read as well as what ever strikes me as noteworthy.


***SPOILER ALERT***
Spoilers will appear here and are welcome.

Autograph Collecting

Monday, July 4, 2022

Riebeckite: Bruised Moon Sequence Book One by O.R. Lea - Great Sci-Fi Thrller Well Worth The Time

Riebeckite: Bruised Moon Sequence Book One by O.R. Lea

It's always a good day when I receive an email from an author who has discovered this blog and offers me the opportunity to read and comment on his/her new book. Such is the case with this tale by O.R. Lea. After reading the blub, I knew I had to read this because of its unique setting of near future events in the Persian Gulf.

I downloaded a copy of Riebeckite from Kindle Unlimited and am leaving this review voluntarily.

Overall, I found Rebeckite to be a well told great story. It features well-defined characters set in a world where there are those who would exploit a disaster for greed and power. I enjoyed the location setting of the story; I've never read a sci-fi story set in the Middle East as far as I can remember. I found it refreshing the people depicted were mostly just regular people trying to go about their lives as best they can. It was fun getting a brief view of culture I feel is often misunderstood by many in western culture.

Rebeckite is a sci-fi thriller with political and scientific intrigue. It is well paced with characters who are well developed and that a reader can care about. The principal human antagonists are developed through the story and their true motivations are revealed slowly. The non-human antagonist is terrifying, leading to some rather graphic descriptions of death and dismemberment, but I would not label the gory scenes as gratuitous. There are some small bits of humor added to the tale that made me laugh; most of those were between the two principal characters.

In 2027, the Earth's moon is struck by an asteroid named Riebecki. The impact kicked up enough material to form a ghostly blue ring around the satellite. While it is a breath-taking site for those on the planet, Earth's gravity is also pulling a steady stream of material into the atmosphere. The material sprinkling into the air is harmful to life on the land, so a series of giant scrubbers are built to remove the material, dubbed riebeckite, from the atmosphere and deposited into the sea. As a result, fisheries are suffering. The company in charge of the scrubbers employ Dr. Tahira Piriyeva to study the effects of the blue dust on the ocean around the island of Qeshm. When one of her colleagues is injured, she begins a journey of discovery that leads to a deadly realization.

Further investigation shows that the danger from the material streaming from the moon is being exploited by greedy, power-hungry individuals whose self-interest could put millions of lives in jeopardy. 

When Tahira is reunited with a childhood friend, Zareen Isfahani, it is a race for survival and to expose those who would put the world's population in harm's way to protect the secret of the Riebeckites and gain fortune.

This tale has a lot of great characters at both ends of the spectrum. My favorite characters in this story are the dynamic duo of Tahira and Zareen. Together, they are an unstoppable force with Tahira as the brains, and Zareen as the muscle. The pair are from different sides of the tracks, with Tahira on the island because of the annexation by Azerbaijan. Zareen is a native of Iran and is part of the resistance to the annexation of Qeshm. They are friends when they are young but wound up getting separated during an uprising. When they are reunited, they have changed, but it doesn't take them long to remember their friendship and how much they care for each other.

Both are strong female characters, and it isn't hard to find them as people one can care about. The author did a great job creating characters with such complementary strengths, and their ability to fill in the gaps in each other’s weaknesses.

My favorite point of plot is the development of the principal characters, but at the same time, I enjoyed the development of the tale's main antagonist; the beings that arise because of the material streaming to the Earth from the moon. Without getting specific, I will say that the development of the monsters is slow and enhances development of the plot. For a lot of the story, I was wondering what would eventually come from this part. I was not disappointed. I will also say that what came of the material is terrifying, and difficult to defeat.

My takeaway from Riebeckites is how people from diametrically different cultures can find a bridge of friendship, overcome their differences, and work together for a common goal. I also appreciated a look into cultures I normally read little about.

I found Riebeckites a refreshing thrill-a-minute rollercoaster ride full if twists and turns. This tale should appeal to any sci-fi fan who enjoys an action-packed story with some terrifying moments, suspense, and great character development. The highest recommendations for this brilliantly written tale.

There are two more books coming in this tale. Book two is titled Torpor's End due out in November, 2022, and Camp Chelovek to be released in March, 2023.

Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Raised and educated in North Wales, Oliver spent his early 20s working for a theatre-in-education music troupe for as long as it took to feel like his GCSE in Welsh language had provided its money's worth. Since then, he's lived in Portsmouth and currently works as a laboratory analyst. His biggest failure as a writer has been in his attempts to settle on a genre, having written about Middle Eastern vampires, African mercenaries, and supernatural Welsh murderers. His first 'properly' published novel, "Riebeckite", is a near-future speculative fiction story set in the Persian Gulf.

He is @orleaauthor on Twitter and Instagram, and his website is orlea.co.uk.

Well, there it is...

Qapla!

No comments:

Post a Comment