Notice...

The purpose of this blog is to have a little fun. It is NOT to start arguments. I don't profess to be an expert on Sci-fi, nor do I aspire to become an expert. You are welcome to comment on any and all content you find here. If my opinion differs from yours, as far as I am concerned, it's all okay. I will never say that you are wrong because you disagree with me, and I expect the same from those that comment here. Also, my audience on the blog will include some young people. Please govern your language when posting comments.

Posts will hopefully be regular based on the movies I see, the television shows I watch, and the books I read as well as what ever strikes me as noteworthy.


***SPOILER ALERT***
Spoilers will appear here and are welcome.

Autograph Collecting

Wednesday, July 13, 2022

Sands of Dune by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson - Four Excellent Tales From The Dune Universe

Sands of Dune by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson

This is a collection of four novellas from the Dune universe intended to add some perspective to the series’ mythos. The four stories are about events that took place outside of the tale told in the full novels by Frank Herbert and the team of Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson.

In this volume, the four stories are:

The Edge of a Crysknife: What was the Shadout Mapes like before she became the head housekeeper for the Atreides? Well, she was a fierce Fremmen warrior. This is a great tale, and many say it is their favorite in the book.

Blood of the Sardukar: Even though the Padishah Emperor Shaddam IV is complicit in the Baron Harkonnen killing Duke Leto Atreides, he has ordered that the Duke not be tortured and made to suffer before he dies. A Sardukar warrior has taken it upon himself to see that Shaddam's wishes are carried out. Mostly seen as merciless killers, this particular Sardukar's background has allowed him to keep a certain amount of compassion.

The Waters of Kanly: In this tale, Gurney Halleck is at the center. He knows the Duke has been captured and killed and thinks the same has happened to the young Paul and his mother, the Lady Jessica. He has taken up with a band of smugglers and is using them to further his vow to avenge himself upon the Harkonnen for the Duke and Paul, as well as what they did to him before he came into the employ of the Atreides.

Imperial Court: A tale set ten-thousand years before the events in Frank Herbert's Dune, It chronicles more of what took place between the Atreides and Harkonnens to make them blood enemies.

I enjoyed all the four stories, but my favorite was The Waters of Kanly. 

As one would expect, these are all well-written stories with a lot of action involving characters Dune fans would know, and some new ones we only see in this volume. It is well worth the time to pick this up if you are a fan of the extended Dune universe.

What I enjoyed the most was how well these stories dovetail right into the universe with the same feeling I get when reading any of the books in the saga. Whenever I pick up new material, I always feel like I am getting a visit from friends I haven’t seen for a while. The stories contained in this volume are all entertaining and after I finished reading, I wanted more.

Just a little side note here. I was recently in a local Starbucks for a coffee break. I happened to have on a t-shirt that depicted a sandworm and a group of Fremmen around it. On the back is printed the litany against fear. The young woman who was getting my order together asked me if my shirt was about Dune. Of course, I answered that it was, and we had a brief conversation about how both us enjoyed the new film. It would appear there is a Dune revival currently taking place, and no one is happier about that than I am.

My Highest Recommendations for Sands of Dune!

Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Brian Herbert, the son of Frank Herbert, wrote the definitive biography of him, Dreamer of Dune, which was a Hugo Award finalist. Herbert is also president of the company directing the legacy of Frank Herbert and is an executive producer of the new motion picture Dune, as well as of the forthcoming TV series Dune: The Sisterhood. He is the author or coauthor of more than forty-five books, including multiple New York Times bestsellers, has been nominated for the Nebula Award, and is always working on several projects at once. He and his wife, Jan, have traveled to all seven continents, where they experienced a diversity of cultures that often find their way into his writing. In 2019, they took a fascinating trip to Budapest to observe the filming of Dune.

Kevin J Anderson has written dozens of national bestsellers and has been nominated for the Hugo Award, the Nebula Award, the Bram Stoker Award, and the SFX Readers' Choice Award. His critically acclaimed original novels include the ambitious space opera series The Saga of Seven Suns, the epic fantasy trilogy Wake the Dragon, the steampunk adventures Clockwork Angels and Clockwork Lives (with legendary Rush drummer Neil Peart), as well as the thrillers Stake and Kill Zone (with Doug Beason). He is the publisher of WorldFire Press and the director of the graduate publishing program for Western Colorado University. He also set the Guinness-certified world record for the largest single-author book signing.

Well, there it is...

Qapla!

No comments:

Post a Comment